Description[edit | edit source]
Native to the entire Northern Hemisphere, the red fox is one of the larger species of fox and is characterized by their most typical orange-red fur and large fluffy tail. Red foxes are territorial omnivores but generally feed on smaller game such as squirrels, mice, and rabbits. They can breed fiercely, and are considered an invasive species in various parts of the world. Males and females often look quite the same, but vixens often weigh less. Males weigh around 10 kg (22 lb). The red fox's smaller size makes it a challenge to hunt at the time, as it is hard to spot them.
Features[edit | edit source]
|Behaviour||Docile and skittish|
|Habitat||A mix of forests, open fields, and mountainous terrain|
|Senses||Excellent vision and very good hearing|
|Active||During dawn and dusk|
|Weapon Class 2, Predator "Jackrabbit" Caller|
|Difficulty||1 (Trivial) - 9 (Legendary)|
Need Zone Times[edit | edit source]
The red fox need zone times are identical for both reserves (Hirschfelden Hunting Reserve and Yukon Valley).
|00:00 - 03:30||Feeding|
|03:00 - 07:30||Feeding|
|07:00 - 11:30||Resting|
|11:00 - 15:30||Resting|
|15:00 - 19:30||Resting|
|19:00 - 23:30||Drinking|
|23:00 - 00:30||Feeding|
Shot scheme[edit | edit source]
|Red - Kills immediately|
|Blue - Kills very quick|
|Orange - Kills slowly|
|No Color - Unlikely to kill|
Hunting Tips[edit | edit source]
To get 100% Integrity bonus, the fox should be only hunted using either .223 ammo or 300gr Arrows (see Integrity). Because of the difficulties of proper bow hunt (precision over distances, proper aiming etc.), it is recommended to use the .223 ammo because of it's superior precision over distances.
Regarding its small size and good senses, a red fox can give a hunter a hard time. It can smell and hear a careless hunter from far away and will immediately run away if alarmed and is also nearly impossible to shoot in the woods So the best strategy is to sneak up on them as near as possible and shoot on sight. Here the superior precision of the .223 is useful to hit the fox properly.
Integrity[edit | edit source]
There are 13 ammunition that gives full integrity on the Red Fox
- 4 Rifle Ammo
- 2 Shotgun ammo
- 3 Handgun ammo
- 4 Archery ammo
Fur variants[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The Red Fox was the first canid to be featured in the game alongside the coyote.
- It is called "Renard Roux" in french.
- The scientific name of the Red Fox (Vulpes vulpes) is together with the name of the Harlequin Duck (Histrionicus histrionicus), Fallow Deer (Dama dama), Roe Deer (Capreolus capreolus), Plains Bison (Bos bison bison), Axis Deer (Axis axis) and the Eurasian Lynx (Lynx lynx) a tautonym, that means a scientific name in which both parts of the name have the same spelling.
Patches[edit | edit source]
- Fix for female foxes [Vixens] awarding negative score. (Patch 1.1) [February 23, 2017]
- Fixed an issue with the mission “Conni #20” where Foxes harvested from ground blinds did not count correctly towards the objective. (Patch 1.8) [July 21, 2017]
- CONNI #19 [Mission] - required fox harvests changed from 4 to 2. (Patch 1.17) [March 1, 2018]
- Improved sound mix for Coyotes and Red Foxes. (Patch 1.17) [March 1, 2018]
- Fixed issue with warning calls not being displayed for Fox, Coyote and Jackal. (Patch 1.24) [September 27, 2018]
- “CONNI #12” [Mission] - fixed an issue where players needed to examine different types of clues from different foxes not just different tracks from different foxes. (Patch 1.27) [November 28, 2018]
- Patch 1.36 [June 25, 2019] : Release of Yukon Valley Reserve [DLC]